Monday, October 1, 2012

Ombre Mini Cakes

I made mini ombre cakes last night. I mostly just wanted to make them look nice but they tasted pretty good as well! I just made a simple white cake batter then separated it into three bowls. I added 10 drops of a blue food coloring in the darkest bowl, 5 drops in the medium bowl, and 1 in the lightest. I wasn't completely satisfied with how the colors looked; I would have liked the lightest color to be even lighter, but it turned out fine. Also, I would have measured the three layers better because one of the layers was much thinner than the others but it wasn't too noticeable. Once the layers were done baking I made a vanilla buttercream frosting for them. Then I leveled out the tops, cut out the cakes with a glass, and stacked them with frosting in between the layers and on top. I would use a bigger frosting nozzle if I did it again. Overall they turned out nice, but it was just a regular cake and I would have liked a little different flavor if I did it again.
I also mashed the extra bits together in layers and made another cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment